I just love Gujarati food, Don’t you? Handvo is nothing but basically a yummy and super healthy vegetable cake which has its origin in particularly India and that too in regions of Gujarat. Handvo is a classic dish and one may not find it easily served up in the local shops but trust me it tastes amazing. Often prepared with bottle gourd, gram flour and all it can serve as the ideal breakfast option for you. Trust me everyone would love to try this new thing. As heavy the name would sound, it is super easy to make and yummy to taste.
With this step by step Gujarati Handvo recipe which is the perfect and easy breakfast recipe, I am sure you will win over many hearts at home. It isn’t tough to make at all. So go on and try this easy and healthy breakfast option at home now!
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Super healthy and instant- Gujarati Rava Handvo
- Semolina sooji: 100gms(fine quality)
- Curd: 100gms whisk amd smoothen
- Gram flour: 50gms
- Red chili powder: 1tbs
- Turmeric powder: 1tbs
- Salt: 1tbs
- Ginger-garlic paste: A little Grind 3-4 green chilies with it as well
- Black mustard seeds: 1tbs
- White sesame seeds: 1tbs
- 10. Curry leaves: a little
- 11. Refine oil: 2tbs
- 12. Eno fruit salt: 1pkt
- 13. Carrot: 100gms fine chopped
- 14. Cauliflower: 100gms fine chopped
- 15. Capsicum: 50gms fine chopped
Step 1: Making the batter
First of all take a medium bowl and pour semolina, curd, gram flour and mix it well with adding water gradually. Now add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, giner-garlic paste with chilies and the chopped veggies-carrots, cauliflower, capsicum and mix everything well. And let it rest for 10mins.
Step 2: Adding Eno fruit salt
In the batter made, add eno fruit salt and add a little water a top and mix everything well.
Step 3: Cooking the Handvo
- Now take a medium pan and pour 2tbs of oil and heat up. Now add a little black mustard seeds and white sesame seeds, curry leaves and fry a little. Now put the entire batter in and level it up with a ladle and let it cook for 15mins on medium flame with covered lid.
- After 15mins check to see it’s cooked nice and dry. Now we need to turn the handvo to the other side. We’ll use a plate for that as using a ladle might break the handvo. So turn the handvo on to a plate.
- Now the tadka for the other side needs to be prepared as well. So just repeat the same process like pouring oil and adding mustard seeds, sesame seeds and curry leaves and then place the other side of the handvo it and let it cook for 15mins with covered lid on medium flame.
- After 15mins, the Handvo is done and can be served.
Step 4: Serve it up.
- Take out the Handvo carefully on a plate and cut it into pieces. As you will see that it has been perfectly cooked and has risen nicely. So serve it up.
- Handvo is an authentic gujarati recipe that you won’t find easily sold off in the market. It is a very healthy and super yummy recipe that you will easily find your kids loving. With so much of goodness of vegetables and other ingredients it’s the perfect breakfast recipe for your home. Well you know that having a great breakfast is important. So serve it up as it’s super easy to make and drift to the land of Gujarati culture. Happy cooking folks!
Enjoy the super yummy Handvo!
- Use fine quality semolina only.
- Whisk and smoothen the curd for a nice and lump free batter.
- You can use as many vegetables as you like.
- Instead of Eno one can use 1/2tbs of baking soda as well.
- The batter of handvo it sticky and heavy that’s why it takes a little more time to cook. So be patient with that.
Click to follow me on Facebook and Youtube