Dal Makhani is popular dish in the regions of Punjab. Prepared with fresh black lentils, red kidney beans, butter and cream. It is been presumed or rather believed that is was invented in the kitchen of Moti Mahal. Dal Makhani is a popular dish that is served at most of the Indian restaurants and is a great dish to enjoy with rice servings and all. Every time one visits a patent north Indian restaurant then there are pretty patent thing one orders and one such dish is Dal Makhani. Dal makahni is such a creamy dish and one can easily prepare it at home. Dal is a comforting dish for every Indian and ahs a very fascinating and satisfying taste. It is popular as a patent Punjabi dish as one who is lover of all food rich in creamy then Dal Makhani is bound to be their favorite. Dal Makhnai has various fascinating stories and almost a different version in every home so in short it is an all-rounder dish! One can easily crave for this yummy dish everyday and what if one craves it easily? Well make it at home. Homemade Dal Makhani has a super amazing taste and the taste is as great as the ones served in the restaurants. Follow the Dal Makhani recipe step by step which we are sharing and you are good to go and make finger-licking tasty Dal Makhani. The very fascinating and comforting Dal Makhani is super easy just follow this easy Dal Makhani recipe. So let’s begin!
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Creamy and rich: Dal Makhani
- Black Urad Dal: 150gms whole
- Kidney Beans Rajma: 25gms
- Salted butter: 150gms
- Mustard oil: 100gms
- Onion: 4nos medium sized(fine chopped)
- Tomato: 4nos medium sized pureed
- Red chili powder: 1tbs
- Turmeric: 1tbs
- Salt: 1tbs
- 10. Coriander powder: 1tbs
- 11. Garam masala: 1tbs
- 12. Dal Makhani masala: 1tbs
- 13. Ginger-garlic paste: 2tbs
- 14. Fresh cream: 3tbs
- 15. Fresh coriander:
Step 1: Soaking the Dal
First of all soak the black urad Dal and kidney beans in a bowl of water for about 5-6hours. This helps in cooking the Dal easily.
Step 2: Cooking the Dal
Furthermore, take a pressure cooker and put the soaked Dal in it and pour 3glasses of water. Put ½ tbs salt and 2-3tbs of mustard oil as well. Now cover with the lid and let it cook. Once it starts building pressure lower the flame and let it cook for 20mins.
Step 3: Preparing the tadka
- Now take a medium kadhai put the oil in the kadhai and let it heat up. Now add the chopped onions and stir fry till they are translucent.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and mix it well and cook till they are brown for about 5-6mins. Now add the dry spices (red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala and Dal Makhani masala) and mix well and cook for 30seconds.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well and cook it well so the oil starts separating.
Step 4: Check on the Dal
Now open the lid of the pressure cooker and check for the Dal for it to have cooked nicely.
Step 5: Making the Dal Makhani
- Now its time to put the Dal into the masala and mix well. Add the fresh coriander and put 1tbs of salt and mix it well and cook.
- It’s time to add the butter and mix it with the Dal as well so it becomes rich and creamy.
- Put the fresh cream as well and mix. Now cover it with a lid and cook for about 10mins.
Our Dal Makhnai is ready so let’s serve it. Add a little fresh cream on top and you are good to go.
- Always soak the Dal at first for at least -6hours so that they cook and melt up nicely later.
- If one wishes they can opt for Amul fresh cream instead of cream prepared at home.
- It’s important to cook the Dal nicely so if even after 20mins it’s not cooked entirely let it cooks for more 5-6mins.
- Adding butter to the Dal Makhani makes the taste much yummier.
Having a wholesome meal prepared at home is a first choice of everyone. We all believe in the saying of “The family who eats together stays together”. When such delicious Dal Makhani and that too homemade are served on the table then the family is bound to have a great time. So enjoy this healthy and creamy Dal Makhani at home. Happy cooking!
Click to follow me on Facebook and Youtube