Pista kulfi or Malai kulfi is often termed as the Indian ice cream. Prepared with condensed milk rather than whipping is a great sweet dish. It is believed to have originated during the Mughal Empire. Kulfi is served in many different flavors. Kids love them and so do us adults. It tates heavenly but is super easy to make. Pistachio kulfi recipe is easy to prepare. Malai kulfi with khoya is ayummy preparation that one can easily make at home and enjoy. Wondering how to make malai kulfi at home and beat the summer heat. So here is malai kulfi/Pista kulfi recipe. Enjoy!
Watch the full recipe video in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Tasty and yummy: Pista Kulfi!
- Milk full cream: 1litre
- Khoya Mava: 150gms
- Sugar: 200gms
- Kesar Pista custard powder: 2tbs
- Cardamom powder: 1tbs
- Pistachio: a handful cut into shreds
- Almond: a handful cut into shreds
- Coconut powder: a little
Pour around 1litre of milk in a saucepan and boil on full flame at first. Then gradually keep boiling it till 4 more boils so the milk reduces.
Add khoya or mava, keep stirring so the khoya mixes well with the milk.
Mix 2tbs of kesar pista custard powder with ½ cup of milk and add it to the boiling milk and mix well. Keep boiling it for more 5mins and let it reduce more.
Now add coconut powder, cardamom powder and stir well.
- Add shredded pista, almonds and mix well. On medium flame let the milk reduce further so that it thickens.
- Now add sugar and mix well. Turn the gas off and let the mixture cool down.
Now freeze the kulfi in whichever way you like. I have used a baking tray. Pour the mixture in a baking tray and cover it with aluminum foil and let it freeze for 6-8hours.
Now the kulfi must be set after 6-8hours. Serve it well by adding more garnishes.
- The mixture for kulfi is supposed to be thick so when we add khoya it thickens in a short time and enhances the taste more.
- Never mix dry custard powder to the boiling milk directly as it may form lumps. Mix with a little milk and then add.
- Adding coconut powder given an extra pack of taste and a different texture in taste.