Dahi valle or dahi vada, the name reminds us of the festivities of holi but why should it be contraints to a delicacy served in the festivities. Its taste is so yummy that our taste buds start to dance off when we just hear its name. Dahi valle is basically soft and spongy gram balls served with dollops of curd and seasonings. Popular in the north India as a yummy tasty street food, dahi valle is super tasty. Now you must be wondering how to make dahi valle at home? Well it’s super easy how to make dahi valle soft and spongy at home. So let’s start, here is a step by step dahi valle or dahi vada recipe.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Tasty and Spongy- DAHI VALLE!
- Moong dal: 1 cup soaked for 4-5hrs
- Urad dal: 2 cup soaked for 4-5hrs
- Curd: 250gm
- Red chili powder: 1tbs
- Roasted cumin seeds: 1tbs crushed
- Sugar: 1 ½ tbs
- Asafetida Hing: 1 pinch
- Refined oil: For deep frying
- Pomegranate seeds: for garnishing
Step 1 : Mixing the batter
- (In a big bowl take luke warm water, add asafetida and salt and mix. We’ll be keeping the valle in it)
- At first in a mixer grind moond dal into a fine paste and take it out in a bowl. Then grind urad dal into a fine paste as well and pour in the same bowl as moong dal.
- Now, add a little water to the paste and whisk it till the batter is light and fluffy.
Step 2: Frying the valle
- Take a medium kadhai, pour refine oil for deep frying and put it on stove and heat up. Keep a bowl with luke warm asafetida and salt water to put the valle into so they are moist and soft.
- Take small portions of batter and put into the oil and fry the valle a little. They’ll be fluffy in no time.
- Turn the valle and keep frying on medium heat. Do not fry till golden brown, just a little to retain their softness.
- Now, take the valle out and put it in asafetida and salt water for 1-1/2 hrs so they soak the water properly and are moist and spongy.
Step 3: Serving the Dahi valle
- At first take curd and put 1 ½ tubes of sugar in it and whisk till the sugar dissolves.
- Now, take a plate. Squeeze the water out of the valle nicely and softly and place them in the plate. Pour the curd over the valle.
- Sprinkle tamarind chutney on top, a little red chili powder, salt and a little cumin seeds. Pour curd more if you like. Garnish with pomegranate seeds and it’s ready to be served. Enjoy with your family. Happy Cooking!
- Always grind the dal into a fine paste as a coarse paste won’t let the valle be soft and spongy.
- Don’t fry the valle too much just a little to the golden side but not too golden brown as it will make the valle stiff.
- Dahi valle tastes yummy with tamarind chutney so serve it with that.
- Dahi valle is about curd so pour as much as you want. We used fresh curd but adding sugar to it made it tastier.