Sambhar is a traditional south Indian food dish. The story behind the origin of Sambhar dates back to the Maratha Empire days. It was believed to be named after Shivaji’s son Sambhji who tried to cook dal for himself and eventually led making Sambhar. No matter what is the original story it is super tasty to have, Isn’t it? Majorly serves with Idli and Dosa, sambhar is a patent dish in every traditional South Indian homes. There are plenty of ways sambhar is enjoyed like sambhar recipe for Idli, sambhar recipe for dosa and even sambhar recipe for rice. It is so nutrietional and super yummy that it is really hard to resist. With hard and fast rule it is no doubt a yummy and great way of having veggies. One can easily enjoy this Smabhar with easy south Indian Sambhar recipe shared in this article. So don’t worry and let’s start the super easy and quick sambhar recipe for idili/dosa.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
The super easy and yummy: Sambhar recipe!
- Arhar Dal: 150gms washed
- Tomatoes: 2nos Chopped
- Tamarind: a little
- Red chili powder: 1tbs
- Turmeric: 1tbs
- Coriander powder: 1tbs
- Sambhar Masala: 4tbs
- Salt: 1tbs
- Dry red Chili: 2nos
- 10. Curry leaves: 5-6nos
- 11. Black Mustard: 1tbs
- 12. Mustard oil: 100gms
- 13. Fenugreek seeds: ¼ tbs
- 14. Garam Masala: ½ tbs
- 15. Potato: a bowl cut into medium cubes
- 16. Bottle gourd: a bowl cut into medium cubes
- 17. Brinjal: a bowl cut into medium cubes
- 18. Beans: a bowl chopped into small pieces
- 19. Onion: 2-3nos cut into long shreds
- 20. Green chili: 2nos chopped
- 21. Fresh coriander: for garnishing
Step 1: Boiling the veggies and dal
- In a pressure cooker, put dal and bottle gourd, potato, beans, brinjal, and pour 1.5glass of water, add 1/2tbs of salt and mix.
- Cover the pressure cooker and let it have pressure, after that cook on slow flame for 3-4mins.
- Open the lid and keep it aside.
Step 2: The tadka
- In a separate kadhai or pan, pour oil and heat up. Add fenugreek seeds, dry red chilies, black mustard, curry leaves, onions and fry till golden brown. Now, add tomatoes and diced green chilies and cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Now, add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and sambhar masala and mix well. Fry well and add a little water. Gradually add a little more water and let it cook.
- Add salt and mix well so it cooks well.
Step 3: Making the sambhar
- In the tadka cooked pour the cooked veggies and dal. Add 1.5glasses of water and mix well. Add ½ glass of water again and tamarind water (To make tamarind water soak the tamarind in hot water and drain the pulp with a strainer).
- When the sambhar simmers, add fresh chopped coriander and cover the lid and cook for 5mins. The sambhar is ready. Serve it well with a little garnishing of fresh coriander.
- You can always opt for more vegetables according to your choice.
- While cooking the veggies and dal you can add more water and make it runny as well.
- The sambhar needs to be a little runny as when it will cool down it will thicken.
- Tamarind pulp makes it more yummy and tangy to taste.