What do you associate Biryani with? Most commonly people do it with the Nizam community that lives in India. Well it in fact is not quite far away from the reality. Hyderabadi Biryani is a kind of Biryani that is associated and has been believed to have originated in the kitchens of the Nizam that stayed in Hyderabad in the earlier time but if we speak about the most commonly only Biryani well that it originated way far off from us and it’s a Persian gift to us actually. Well whatever the story is behind Biryani Hyderabadi Dum Biryani is one heavenly dish whose taste just lingers in our mouths. Its aroma, its texture and perfect taste is too hard to resist. Hyderabadi Biryani or Dum Biryani or Hyderabadi chicken Biryani is a patent dish that people savor among the auspicious days of Ramadan or Ramazan. It’s very commonly found in these days being served up in high class restaurants to even road side food joints.
Well I just love Biryani it’s a total power packed wholesome dish with it’s with the perfect spices and the juicy chicken. Well don’t you agree with me? So haw about we try to make this at home? Don’t worry it’s not a tough nut to crack, Hyderabadi Biryani has quite a few recipes by which it can be made but today I have simplified the whole process to cook the perfect Hyderabadi Dum Biryani or the Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani.
At times you must have surely worried on how to cook Biryani but be glad I am here with a super easy Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani step by step recipe. And be assured it’s going to taste super amazing. So let’s begin
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani
- Chicken: 1kg washed nicely and drained
- Basmati rice: 1/2kg washed and soaked for at least 10mins
- Ginger-garlic paste: 2tbs
- Fresh coriander leaves: a handful
- Mint leaves: a handful
- Onion: 1nos diced
- Green chilies: 2 chopped
- Golden brown onion: 4nos sliced and fried till golden brown
- Lemon juice: 2tbs
- 10. Desi ghee: 4-5tbs
- 11. Mustard oil: a little
- 12. Black pepper: 1tbs
- 13. Cumin seeds: 2tbs
- 14. Bay leaf: 2pc
- 15. Cardamom: 4-5nos
- 16. Cloves: 7-8nos
- 17. Cinnamon: 1stick
- 18. Turmeric powder: 1tbs
- 19. Coriander powder: 1tbs
- 20. Red chili powder: 1 ½ tbs
- 21. Biryani Masala: 2tbs
- 22. Garam masala: 1tbs
- 23. Salt: 2tbs
- 24. Fresh Curd: 250gms For marinating
- 25. Kesar: a little mixed with 4tbs of milk for color
- 26. Orange food color: a little mixed with 4tbs of milk
- 27. Kewra water: ½ tbs
Step 1: Marinating the chicken
- First of all take the chicken and pour fresh curd on it and put 2 tbs of ginger-garlic paste on it as well.
- Now put 1tbs of salt, 2 green chilies, turmeric powder, red chili powder, Biryani masala, garam masala, and coriander powder and lemon juice as well. Mix everything well and nice and keep aside for at least 2hours and cover with a plate so that the marinating is done nicely.
Step 2: Preparing the rice
Now take a pan and pour a 3tbs refined oil and heat up. Put 1tbs of cumin seeds, ½ tbs of black pepper, 3-4cardamom, and 2 bayleafs and 4-5 cloves and fry them a little. This will give a nice taste and aroma to the rice.
Now let’s put the rice which we already washed and soaked in water for 10mins and mix with dry spices and cook for 1min.
Now put water onto the rice in sufficient quantity and a little more only and now put 1tbs of salt and mix well.
Let is cook till first boil and now lower the flame as we need to cook the rice till 70-80% only. Cover the lid. As when we will cook the chicken the rice will get cooked with it as well so do not cook the rice entirely.
It’s almost 2hours so let’s prepare the chicken.
Step 3: Preparing the Chicken
- Now take a medium pan and pour a little mustard oil and heat up. Now add the dry spices 1tbs cumin seeds, 4-5 cloves, ½ tbs black pepper, cinnamon stick and fry a little (we used half the dry spices in rice as well)
- Now put the chopped onion and fry till they turn brown a little.
- Now put the chicken in and cook for about 2-3min. Cook the chicken while stirring for 5mins nicely and you can see the gravy coming up. We will not dry up the chicken as this will be cooked with rice and if we dry it up the Biryani will turn out dry as well.
- Add fresh mint leaves and coriander leaves. This will give a very nice taste to the Biryani.
Step 4: Layering up the Biryani
- Now after the chicken is cooked let’s layer up rice.
- Now put fried onion on top and a little mint leaves as well and golden fried onion as well and this will give it a nice taste.
- Now the coloring part, the color in Biryani is very important so let’s add the kesar we mixed with milk on it and the orange food color similarly as well. Now put the Kewra water as well as this will enhance the taste of Biryani to a whole new level.
- Now put Desi ghee as well and cover and cook.
Step 5: Cooking with Dum
- Now cover the Biryani with lid and lower the flame. Seal the hole with dough. We haven’t sealed the entire utensil with dough as our lid is very tight but you do seal the edges with dough to get the perfect Biryani Dum and cook for 20mins.
- Now after 20mins turn the gas off but don’t open the lid and let it be for more 20mins so that the Dum is nicely intact.
- Now after 20mins open the lid and Voila, the Biryani is ready and perfectly cooked. It just smells heavenly!
Step 6: Serve up
Now serve the Biryani well and enjoy its perfect taste. Enjoy!
Enjoy the Super Aromatic Biryani
- Wash the chicken nice and clean.
- Soak the rice for about 10mins so they cook nice.
- Frying the rice with the dry spices makes the rice cook nice and free with a great taste and aroma.
- Instead of Biryani Masala one can use chicken masala too.
- Golden fried onion tastes great in Biryani that’s why I slice 4 onions and crispy fried them.
- The rice needs to be cooked at first for about 70-80% as it will be cooked with the chicken as well. Do not overcook it.
- Mint leaves and coriander leaves just add more taste to it.
- Do not dry up the chicken gravy as it will make the Biryani dry as well then.
- I have used Kesar mixed with milk for coloring you can use yellow color as well.
- I have not sealed the utensil for the Dum as the lid was very tight but you do make sure to seal the utensil’s edges with dough for the perfect Dum.
In this auspicious month of Ramadan the Biryani holds a great place in our hearts. Do make this amazing and delicious Biryani and enjoy this at home. It’s very easy to make and I am sure you will win over many hearts as this Biryani is way too popular among people. Hyderabadi Chicken Biryani is a great taste to eat and enjoy! So make it at home and enjoy and begin to celebrate the festivities of Ramadan at home and make the stomach of your guests happy and full. Happy cooking!