Biryani is a complete meal in itself. Its origin can be traced back to Persia when Persian soldiers brought the mighty Biryani to us. And from there it has seen many variations one of them is Veg Biryani. This sumptuous meal is cooked with great spices and lots of veggies. Wondering how to cook Veg Biryani? This is a Veg Biryani recipe step by step recipe. It tastes great but is super easy to cook. So let’s start tempting your mouth!
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Yummy and delicious Veg Biryani- How to cook it easily!
- Basmati rice: 300gms
- Curd: 250gms
- Refined oil: 200gms
- Orange food color: 1tbs
- Desi ghee: 3tbs
- Garam Masala: 1tbs
- Red Chili powder: ½ tbs
- Haldi: ½ tbs
- Salt: 1tbs
- Coriander Powder: ½ tbs
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1tbs
- Cashew: 10-15pcs
- Frozen peas: 100gms
- Tomato: 100gms fine chopped
- Paneer: 200gms diced into cubes
- Cauliflower: 150gms chopped into small pieces
- Carrots: 2pcs cut into long slices
- Potato: 2pcs cut into long slices
- Beans: 3-4pcs cut into long pieces
- Bay leaves: 3-4pcs
- Cumin seeds: 1tbs
- Cloves: 4-6pcs
- Green cardamom: 4pcs
- Cinnamon stick: 1inch
- Green chili: 4pcs sliced
- Fresh coriander
- Fresh mint leaves
- Onions: 4pcs 2pc cut into long pieces and 2pc chopped into medium size
- Kewda essence: ½ tbs
Step 1 : Preparing rice
- In a deep kadhai pour 2-3tbs of refine oil and heat. Add 2 bay leaves, 2 cloves, 2 green cardamom, cumin seeds and fry.
- Add the rice (we have soaked it in water for about 20 mins) and mix well with the spices and fry for 1-2 mins. Now, add water measuring about 3 times the rice. Stir and add salt and mix well. Cover the lid and cook it low flame till they are 75% done.
Step 2 : Garnishing
In a kadhai pour 4-5tbs of oil and heat up. Add the long cut onions are crispy fry them till they are golden brown. Once done keep them aside on a tissue paper.
Step 3 : Preparing the veggie
- (The kadhai we used to fry onions would have oil left, so we’ll use that only)
- Turn on the gas, pour 2-3tbs more oil(if required) and cumin seeds 2 bay leaves, 4 cloves, 1 cinnamon stick, 2 green cardamom and stir fry. Once the dry spices start to be aromatic add chopped onions and fry.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry till they turn translucent. Add the veggies (potato, Cauliflower, Carrots, beans) and fry them well for 1-2 mins. Add the frozen peas and then tmatoes and stir fry with light hand for 1-2mins.
- (Meanwhile check on the rice and when done drain it and keep it aside)
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala, red chili powder and mix them well. Now, add salt and then sliced green chilies and mix them well and fry nicely.
- Add curd and mix well and cook for 1-2mins and add then add the paneer cubes.
- Lastly, add cashew and fresh coriander and cook all the things on a low flame with a lid covered.
Step 4 : Layering the rice
- Layer the cooked rice gradually over the veggies cooked. Drizzle the orange food color randomly to give the Biryani a nice touch. Add the kewda essence for that amazing scent.
- Add fresh coriander, mint leaves and crispy fried onions to make it more delicious. Now, cover it with a lid and cook for 8-10 mins on a low flame.
- After 8-10 mins turn the gas off but don’t open the lid. Let the Biryani rest in steam. Now after 5 mins, serve it well to everyone and enjoy the rich taste of it.
- Soaking the rice even for 20 mins before hand helps to cook them better.
- We need to cook the rice and the veggies till 75% separately and then together so they bind great with each other and are not overcooked.
- Add curd to veggies adds a tangy taste to the Biryani but make sure to keep stirring when you have added the curd so that it doesn’t break out.
- Mix the dry food color with little milk and then add on top of the rice.