Who doesn’t like a great Tandoor chicken? Well I absolutely love it. Every time I get its aroma my taste buds starts to do the happy dance. Tandoori Chicken is the preparation of chicken on Tandoor that’s the name of Indian Barbeque and at times in an oven. Both giving the same results. But having prepared in the tandoor lets it have an amazing smokiness from the charcoals burning which makes it even more appetizing. With so many great spices used to make the marination for the chicken, tandoor is a unique blend of taste. Juicy and crispy outer layer of chicken and super juicy and yummy inside makes tandoor and ideal meal to munch on. Often served as an appetizer it surely makes one’s mouth water. If we talk about the history of tandoor well it’s interesting and great just like its taste. A man named Kundan Lal Gujral, Punjabi Hindu used to run a small restaurant at Moti mahal in Peshawar around 100years back and he invented the tandoor literally and from there it began the talk of the town. The complexity of flavors must have made you wonder that it is very hard to make at home but no it isn’t like that. The tandoor we get in the market are super rich and not very good for our health but it’s prepared with love and care at home, it tastes heavenly. Well here we are sharing an authentic tandoori chicken recipe or the Punjabi tandoor chicken recipe for you to try. Tandoori chicken recipe without oven is a great way to enjoy its awesome taste at the comfort of home. So let’s begin.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Yummy and delicious TANDOORI CHICKEN without OVEN or BBQ!
- Chicken: 5nos only leg piece
- Curd: 1 bowl
- Salt: 2tbs
- Garam masala: ½ tbs
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 2 ½ tbs
- Lemon: 1nos
- Ginger-garlic paste: 2tbs
- Chicken powder: 1tbs
- Turmeric powder: ½ tbs
- Butter: a little
- Oil: a little
- Charcoal: 1 small piece to add smokiness
Step 1: Making little incision in the chicken
At first with a small knife make small little cuts in the chicken leg piece so that the masala seeps in when we make the tandoori chicken.
Step 2: Marinating the chicken
Now in a medium bowl put the chicken in and pour the curd and add garam masala, red chili powder, salt, ginger-garlic paste, chicken powder and turmeric as well and squeeze one lemon in it. Now mix everything well so it coats the chicken nicely, put the masala inside the cuts so that the taste seeps inside the chicken as well. Let the chicken rest for 1 hour in the fridge.
Step 3: Making the chicken
- After a while when the chicken has rested for an hour take it out and keep. Now in a pan pour a little oil and add the butter and let it melt. Now put the chicken pieces in it and cook it on medium flame for a while.
- After 2-3 mins turn the chicken towards another side so to check whether it’s cooking well or not. Do keep repeating the process of turning often so they cook nice and yummy from all the sides.
Step 4: Adding smokiness to the chicken
- Tandoor is not satisfying till it has smoky flavor so for that burn a small piece of charcoal on gas burner.
- The chicken is absolutely ready so put it in a bowl. Now, place the charcoal burnt in a small cup or glass and place in between the chicken and pour a little oil and cover with the lid. This will add great aroma of smokiness to the chicken.
After 2 mins remove the lid and serve well on a plate. Happy cooking!
- Small cuts in the chicken makes for the taste of masala seep inside.
- Keep turning the chicken with the help of tongs so they cook nice and crispy from all the sides.
- Adding smokiness from charcoal is a great way to enhance the taste of the tandoor. It will make the chicken be exactly like the ones cooked in a BBQ.
So no more worries of serving great food to your folks. Tandoori chicken recipe without oven it at your rescue. Who doesn’t like great homemade food? Everyone does. So why not make yummy and healthy rich foods and make way to your family’s heart via their stomach. Enjoy this amazing Punjabi Tandoori chicken and yeah Happy Cooking!