Sarson ka saag is a winter specialty from the northern region especially Punjab. This dish is made with a mix of wilted mustard and other greens and tastes heavenly! It is made often in the homes of Punjab and traditionally served with makai ki roti. It’s a winter delight and enjoyed with fresh butter atop. Wondering how to cook this amazing green sarson ka saag recipe, well its super easy to cook and here is a step by step recipe for it.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Yummy and tasty Punjabi Sarson ka saag recipe!
- Milted mustard sarson ka saag: 500gms(washed thoroughly and chopped)
- Spinach palak: 200gms(washed thoroughly and chopped)
- Desi ghee: 30gms
- Corn flour makai ka atta: 25gms
- Salt: 1tbs
- Hing asafetida: 1pinch
- Green chili: 5-6pcs
- Ginger: 20gms grated
Step 1 : Preparing the saag
Turn the gas on and place pressure cooker on it. Pour the diced sarson ka saag, palak and 1tbs of salt, diced garlic cloves, grated ginger. Add about 1 cup of water and stir a little and cover the lid and let the pressure build up. After a while lower the flame and let it cook for 30mins.
Step 2 : Blending the saag
- Open the lid and drain a little water. Now, blend it using a ladle or like a blender that I have used.
- Now, mix cornflour with the water we drained from the saag and add it to the saag and mix well so no lumps are formed.
- Cook the saag for a little while keep stirring and lower the flame and cook for 7-8mins max.
Step 3 : Adding tadka
- Take a tadka pan, pour desi ghee, heat up and add grated garlic, ginger, hing and fry till they turn brown. Add the tadka to the saag.
- Serve hot well with butter and sliced green chili.
Serve hot well with butter and sliced green chili.
- We have used milted mustard with Spinach leaves; you can opt for Bathua saag as well.
- Wash the saag nicely and chop it well.
- Adding corn flour helps in making a nice texture of the saag.
- Adding tadka to the saag is the life line of it, as saag tastes well only when adequate garlic-ginger is used.