Dosa, a common name in the items of breakfast in south Indian home. It is often called dosai and it is believed to have originated in Udupi which is now a part of the Karnataka region. The traces of dosa can be tracked down to ancient ages of history of India in the sangam literature. Dosa is common street foods around the south Indian community and is often served as a staple food item in the south Indian homes. As the south Indian community travelled across they took their patent Dosa to places they visited and that’s how the Dosa got popularized. We often like to eat Dosa whenever we visit the market and be it a popular and well maintained restaurant or a street stall dosa is served everywhere. But whenever we think about the health point of view munching too much on street food is not good so how about making this yummy dish at home? Well one can easily make crispy paper dosa at home. The step by step paper dosa recipe is so easy to follow. One can easily make great consistency Dosa batter recipe with this step by step process. So let’s begin.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Yummy and super crispy: Paper dosa
- Parmal rice: 2cups
- Black lentil: 3/4th cup washed and without skin
- fenugreek seeds: 1tbs
- Rice flakes: ½ cup chivda
Step 1: Soak the black lentil and rice
- In a medium put the black lentil and more than half the bowl water and let the lentils soak in for 4-5hours at least.
- Now, in the same way soak the rice, rice flakes and fenugreek seeds in a medium bowl for 4-5hours.
Step 2: Making a fine paste of rice and black lentils each
- Take out the soaked rice in a mixing bowl and grind into fine paste and keep in a bowl and similarly make a fine paste of the lentils too and take out in the same bowl as the rice paste.
- Now, mix both the paste nicely and cover the paste and let it rest 5-6hours so that it puffs up. It should be done after 5 hours minimum.
Step 3: Making the batter of right consistency
Now the batter is all puffed up and will have a sour and foul smell. Not to worry this means the batter is perfect in nature. So now add a little water and make it of right consistency. Add ½ tbs of salt and mix well. The batter is ready. So let’s make crispy dosas.
Step 4: Making paper dosas
- Now put a dosa tava on gas and heat up and sprinkle a little water droplets on the tava and wipe off with a cloth.
- Now with a ladle pour a ladle full of the dosa batter and spread evenly with the back of the ladle. When the dosa is cooked a little then brush a little oil on top of it. When the dosa starts to brown from all the sides then it is absolutely done. So with the help of a spoon fold it in a roll and put on plate.
- Repeat the same way for all the dosas.
Serve up this super yummy dosa and enjoy!
- The batter of dosa needs fine paste of rice and black lentils. Make sure it is smooth not coarse for the best of dosa.
- The batter need not be too thick or too lumpy, just right consistency.
- When you start to see brown edges on the dosa be sure it is cooked well enough.
A happy stomach is home of a happy mind. Serving great tasting breakfast items makes the mood of the family be bright throughout the day. It is always been advised that the breakfast should be nutritional and balanced and what better than a plate of dosa to enjoy and that too homemade. It is super easy to make and yummy to taste.