Indian dishes have so much of variety. Basic stuffs are prepared in so much of different ways like the basic chicken gravy is prepared as Onion Chicken. This spicy tangy and tasty dish is one of the best side dish served especially with rice. Onion chicken is a great preparation of spicy chicken with lots of onion and spices in it. It’s a favorite among kids as well as us adults who prefer the pinch taste of spices on their taste buds. It’s a variation of Chicken curry recipe. Wondering how to cook spicy and tasty onion chicken gravy, well its super easy. Here is a step by step Indian onion chicken gravy recipe.
in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Spicy and tasty: Onion chicken recipe!
- Chicken: 1kg
- Onion: 750gms
- Chicken masala: 3tbs
- Coriander powder: 2tbs
- Kashmiri red chili: 2tbs
- Turmeric: 1 ½ tbs
- Salt: 1 ½ tbs
- Cumin seeds: 1tbs
- Oil for frying
- Butter: 150gms
- Bay leaves: 2-3nos
- Cinnamon stick: 1nos
- Black cardamom: 1nos
- Cloves: 3-4nos
- Mace: 1nos
- Black pepper: 10-12nos
Step 1: Marinating the chicken
Wash the chicken properly an keep in a bowl. Put ½ tbs salt, ½ tbs red chili powder, ½ tbs turmeric and mix it well so the masala coats the chicken nicely and let it rest for 20mins.
Step 2: Frying the chicken.
- Turn the gas on. Place a kadhai on top and pour 8-10tbs of oil and heat up. Pour the chicken and stir well and fry just so it cooks well but not too crispy.
- Now, take the chicken out and place in a plate.
Step 3: Making the gravy
- Grind the onion in a coarse paste. Use the same kadhai as the chicken. Add dry spices-Cloves, bay leaves, black cardamom, cinnamon stick, mace, black pepper and fry a little so the aroma starts emitting and add onion paste and fry well. Turn the gas off.
- Now, in a small pan pour 2-3tbs oil and heat up. Add cumin seeds and fry. Now, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala, chicken masala and mix well.
- Place the onion mixture kadhai on gas again and mix the masala we cooked separately. Cook the mixture for 2-3mins more. Add 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Add 1tbs salt and water and mix well. Now add butter and cook well on low flame with a covered lid for 15-20mins.
- Now, remove the lid and add fresh coriander and serve hot with rotis and chapattis! Happy cooking!
- The chicken needs to be marinated properly and it needs to rest at least for 15-20mins.
- Don’t fry the chicken too much just till it has cooked because we need to cook it with the onions as well.
- You can cook the dry spices while frying the chicken but frying it separately will retain the taste better.
- Adding butter enhances the taste to a different level.