The name of Mutton Biryani is enough to let us into imagining the amzing taste it has. The aroma, the spices, Oh my, I am tempted. Did you know that Biryani was brought down to us by the persians? Many believes that it origininated in persia and was brought down by the Mughals. One such theory is that the Biryani is the crown dish of the Hyderabdi Muslims. No matter who brought it down, it truly satisfies our tastebuds! The perfectly spices mutton chunks and the aptly cooked rice emanacating the aroma is sure to get our tastebuds tickling. It looks difficult but there is super easy and delicious on how way to cook Mutton Biryani. So let’s get started with the easy and delicious way og cooking Mutton Biryani!
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Easy and delicious MUTTON BIRYANI recipe!
- Mutton: 500gms
- Basmati rice: 500gms
- Curd: 200gms
- Onion: 2pc medium cut
- Ginger-garlic paste: 3tbs.
- Salt: 2tbs.
- Red chili powder: 1 ½ tbs.
- Coriander powder: 2tbs.
- Turmeric powder: 1tbs.
- Mutton masala: 1 ½ tbs.
- Garam masala: 1tbs.
- Tomato: 2pcs fine chopped
- Green chili: 4pcs
- Mint leaves: a handful for garnish
- Fresh coriander: a handful for garnish
- Crispy fried onions for garnish
- Bay leaves: 4pcs
- Cumin seeds: 2tbs.
- Black pepper: 1tbs.
- Cinnamon stick: 1inch
- Clove: 7-8pcs
- Mace: 2pcs
- Green cardamom: 4pcs
- Black cardamom: 2pcs
- Mustard oil: 100gms for mutton
- Refined oil: 100gms for rice
- Food colors: 2 red/yellow
- Kewda water: 2-3tbs for fragrance
- Desi ghee: 2-3tbs.
Step 1: Marinate mutton
In a medium bowl take mutton and wash it properly. Add 1 ½ tbs ginger-garlic paste, 2tbs coriander powder, 1tbs turmeric, 1tbs garam masala, 1 ½ tbs red chili powder, 1 ½ tbs mutton masala, 1tbs salt, ½ tbs cumin seeds, ½ tbs black pepper, 4 cloves and 200gms curd. Mix it well so that the mutton is marinated properly and set aside for 20mins.
Step 2: Preparing the rice
- Take a deep kadhai and put it on gas stove and pour refined oil and heat it up. Add the dry spices, cumin seeds, 2-3 cloves, 2 bay leaves, 3-4 green cardamom and fry till they are aromatic.
- Add black pepper. When the dry spices start to crack add the basmasti rice (soak it before hand for 15-20mins)
- Mix the rice with the spices well and cook for 1-2mins. Add 1tbs salt to it and mix.
- Add around 1.5L of water and let it boil. Once it starts to boil cover it with a lid and cook.
Step 3: Cooking the Mutton
- (Mutton takes time to cook, therefore we have used pressure cooker to cook it so as to save time)
- Turn on the gas stove and place the pressure cooker and pour mustard oil in it and heat it up. Add the dry spices, cumin seeds, mace, 2 bay leaves, cinnamon stick and black cardom(smashed) and fry. When the spices starts being aromattic and add chopped onion and fry till they turn translucent.
- (Meanwhile check on the rice, if its done turn off the gas and drain it)
- Add 1tbs ginger-garlic paste to the fried onion and fry till they are golden brown. Add the chopped tomatoes and green chili and fry.
- Now, you would see the masala is cooked well, so time to add the mutton. Mix the mutton well with the masala and cover with the lid and cook for 1-2 mins till it has pressure.
- Now turn the flame lower and cook for more 15-20 mins. After that turn off the gas and let it rest inside the pressure cooker for it to release the pressure.
Step 4: Cooking the mutton and rice together
- Now, transfer the mutton to a deep kadhai so we can cook it with the rice, you can cook in the pressure cooker as well if you have a lid that covers it best.
- Layer the mutton with the cooked rice in an even way. Add the crispy fried onion, chopped mint leaves, coriander leaves. Drizzle few drops of both the food color evenly.
- Add the Kewda water as well and lastly add 2-3 spoonfull of Desi Ghee.
- Now, cover with the lid and turn the gas on and cook for 5 mins on a high flame.
- After 5mins lower the gas flame and cook for more 15mins. After 15mins turn the gas off and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Now, its time to open the lid. Open the lid and start serving this appetizing Mutton Biryani with garnish of Crispy friend onions, fresh coriander leaves.
I told it looks delicious but is super easy to make. Now make your family happy and tempt them with this amazing and super easy Mutton Biryani. Happy Cooking!
- Wash the mutton nicely to remove any waste.
- We have used a presuure cooker as mutton takes time to cook.
- Using dry spices always makes it more delicious.
- Use 1-2 food colours for an appealing look of the biryani.
- Make sure not to burn the masala.
- We need to cook the rice and the mutton separately about 70-80% and then cook together to get the level right. Avoid over cooking both of it, so the texture remains.
- Adding kewda water enhances the taste and aroma.