Punjabi Chole is an Indian dish which is literally the dish of chickpeas cooked in a mix of varied spices. Every time we visit the market and see those yummy Chole Masala, it tickles our taste buds. It tastes great but is super easy to cook. We all want to eat the food we get served in market but wonder how to cook Chole masala just like them. So here is your answer, the easy and quick recipe to cook Chole Masala. So let us begin to tempt your taste buds.
Watch the step by step Video Recipe in Hindi (with English subtitles)
Tasty and Yummy Chole, just like your favorite halwai’s!
- Kabuli chana/Chickpeas: 500gm soaked for around 6-7 hours
- Potato: 2pcs
- Cumin seeds: 1tbs
- Onion: 4pcs medium chopped
- Tomato: 2pcs pureed
- Coriander Powder: 2tbs
- Turmeric powder: ½ tbs
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1tbs
- Salt: as per taste
- Red chili powder: 1tbs
- Chana masala: 2tbs
- Tamarind: a little
- Fresh coriander: for garnish
- Tea/tea bag: 1tbs for color
- Bay leaves: 3pcs
- Black pepper: 10-15balls
- Clove: 5-6pcs
- Mace: 1pc
- Black cardamom: 2pcs
- Cinnamon stick: 1inch
- Mustard oil: 100gms
Step 1 : Boiling the chana
- In a pressure cooker pour the soaked chana and potato. Add 1tbs salt, 1 bay leaf, 1 cinnamon stick and 1tbs of tea in potli. Pour water just above the chana and cover the pressure cooker with the lid and let it cook. Let it make pressure and cook till 6-7 whistles.
- Now, take out the chana and aloo in a bowl removing bay leaf from it.
Step 2 : Dry Roasting Spices
In a pan dry roast Cumin seeds, black pepper and cloves till they are golden brown and crush them in powder. Dry roast coriander powder as well.
Step 3 : Making the masala
- In a kadhai pour Mustard oil and heat up. Add the chopped onions and fry. Add the black cardamom, 2 bay leaves, mace, cinnamon stick and fry.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and fry till they are golden brown.
- Add the tomato puree and mix well.
- Now, add turmeric, red chili powder, the dry roasted powder, chana masala, coriander powder and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well and add a little powder so that the masala doesn’t burn.
- Add the boiled aloo and mash it along the masala. Add the chana as well and mix well. Mash the chana a little as well to make it more like our favourite halwai’s.
- Lastly, add tamarind juice around a spoonful for that tangy taste and stir well.
Step 4 : Serve hot
Add fresh coriander and serve it up.
Enjoy this delicious chole masala with bhatoora or parathas. Happy Cooking!
- Soak the kabuli chana for 6-7 hours so they cook nicely.
- Adding tea in potli while boiling the chana gives the chana a nice and dark color. You can use a tea bag as well.
- Dry roasted powder gives chana a great flavor and nice color.
- Soak the tamarind in water for 10 mins and squeeze the juice.